Fixed Price Building
The total complete cost to build the home is predetermined before the construction begins. The price presented will include allowances for any finishing items that have not yet been selected at the time the quote is prepared. Examples may include cabinetry, flooring, plumbing and lighting fixtures, etc. These allowances are included to allow flexibility of customization while still maintaining control of your budget. You will be invoiced in relation to the progress of construction (if 30% of the house is built, 30% of the contract is billed). Cost increases or decreases in materials or labour for non-allowance items are absorbed by the builder.
Cost-Plus Construction Management
The total cost of the contract is not predetermined. You are billed weekly (unless otherwise determined) for the actual cost of the material and subcontractor invoices we receive plus our mark-up for overhead and profit. The invoices we receive are disclosed to you and the mark-up percentage and company labour rate is predetermined in the contract. Any increases or decreases in material or subcontract labour are passed directly to you.
- Build location
- Scaled drawing of the floor layout and square footage
- Elevations (front, side and rear)
- Finishes (cabinetry, type of flooring, type of countertops, lighting, etc / stucco, siding, eaves, shingles, etc)
1. Platinum Homes Questionnaire
Our questionnaire will help you determine the house plan you will need to comfortably suit your lifestyle. A retired couple will be looking for a very different home from a young family starting out. For example, how many bedrooms do you need? Do you work from home? Do you require handicap accessibility in your home? For the full questionnaire, contact our office to schedule your preliminary consultation!
Your questionnaire will help us determine the size of home you will need and a vague idea of the features you desire. We can work out a rough budget for you that you can use if it is necessary to begin a mortgage pre-approval process.
3. Drawings and Design
When we have designed a floor plan you are happy with, a set up drawings will be made up. When they are perfected, your plan will be handed over to the engineers so we can submit all of the necessary permit applications.
4. Contract and Pricing
We will present you with the final price, we will sign the contract, you leave your deposit and we determine the timeline for the construction to begin!
- Excavation and Site Layout – this is an exciting step in building your home. The amount of excavation will be influenced by location, soil conditions, terrain, and size of the home you chose. The size of area to be cleared can affect the overall cost of your new home. Platinum Homes Plus works with hand selected local sub-contractors who are experienced in clearing and excavation. We make it a part of our job to arrange for your site to be well prepared and ready for building.
- Footings and Foundation – the foundation provides a flat, level base for the construction of your home and it bears the weight of the entire structure. The footings distribute the weight to prevent settling or movement. This is the beginning of your new home!
- Framing – the framing stage is very exciting because you begin to see a 3-dimensional skeleton of your home. You can actually see each room taking shape and with walls, a roof and windows. This stage can take anywhere from a couple short weeks for a small home or a few months for a larger one.
- Rough Ins – the rough in stage appears to move along slowly because you don’t get see the dramatic action you see with the framing stage. There will be many different teams working together to rough all the different components needed for your home. Plumbing, electrical, heating, air-conditioning, duct work, exhaust fans, phone lines, television cable, entertainment systems, computer networks, security systems, central vacuum lines, fireplaces and necessary backing are all a part of the extensive work being done during the stage. This stage may take the next several weeks to a few months to complete, but taking the time to get things done right at this stage will really allow your new home experience to be as smooth as can be.
- Interior Finishes – the interior finishing stage is when your house begins to look like a home. The vapour barrier, insulation and drywall go up, you get some colour on the walls and get to start putting in flooring, lighting, cabinetry and countertops, appliances, plumbing fixtures and hardware. Once you add your trim package and plate covers, you will be looking at the finished interior of your new home!
- Exterior Finishes – while the interior finishing work is progressing, the exterior finishing is making progress as well. The exterior finishes may include a combination of brick work, stone, stucco, vinyl, aluminum, concrete or wood. The soffits, facia and eavestroughs also get installed during this phase. The selections you choose for your exterior finishes will determine how much maintenance your home will need.
- Upon Request – Driveway, Deck, Landscaping – the driveway, deck and landscaping is not typically included with new homes; however, when the budget permits these extras to be included with the contract, Platinum Homes Plus is always happy to accommodate you. We are here to customize your home to truly reflect your needs, desires and lifestyle!
6. Walk Through
Approximately 2 weeks before the big move-in day, we will do a complete walk through with you to make sure you are happy with every room. Any final touch-ups or adjustments will be made so everything will be in order when you move in.
7. Move In
Congratulations! You have worked hard at getting your home the way you want it, so we want you to begin living life and get settled in rather than having to worry about fix-ups. We’ll take you on a final walk through to make sure everything is just the way you want it. And after that, you know you can count on our warranty and service program if you have any concerns down the road. So enjoy your new home today and for years to come!
- Landscaping (front and back)
- Retaining walls
- Central air conditioning
- Rain gutters
- Built in microwave
- Refrigerator, stove and dishwasher
- Washer and dryer
- Garbage disposal
- Water softener
- Blinds/window coverings
- Central vacuum